What does the Bible say about becoming a Christian?
Becoming a Christian is the most important decision anyone can ever make. Many people think they will go to heaven because they live a good life. Maybe they were even baptized or go to church regularly. But the Bible, God's Word, says that no one can live up to God's standard of righteousness.
Sin separates us from God
Our sin separates us from God. Sin is basically thinking, saying, or doing anything that would break God's laws. Everyone has sinned and no one is without fault. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Sin leads to death
Salvation cannot be earned. There is nothing we can do on our own merits to inherit eternal life with God. Our Lord is a Holy God. We deserve death and eternal separation from God because of our sin, but fortunately God provided another way. "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
God provided another way
God sent His one and only son Jesus Christ to this earth to live the perfect life. He ultimately died on a cross, was buried, and then rose again to defeat death. He died in our place so that we would not have to die in our own sin and be forever separated from God. "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners Christ died for us."
Calling on the Lord
Because Jesus Christ has been punished on the cross in our place for our sins, all who call upon Him in faith may know that their sins are forgiven, they have eternal life, and that they will be going to heaven. To “call upon the name of the Lord,” means that we admit that we are sinners and are willing to turn from that sin to follow Jesus. It means to believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and to ask Him to forgive us. It means to turn our lives over to Him, trusting Him completely.
Is it time for you to become a Christian?
If you believe the Holy Spirit is leading you to give your life to Christ, you may do so today. There are no special words in making this decision, for God already knows what is in your heart. That being said, if the following words accurately reflect what is in your heart you may express them to God as your own.
Dear God, I know that I have sinned and that my sin separates me from You. I am sorry for my sin. I believe that Jesus Christ died on a cross for me so that my sins could be forgiven. I believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and is alive. Please forgive me. I ask Jesus to come into my life and be my Savior and Lord. I will obey You and live for You the rest of my life. Thank you! Amen!
If you have trusted Jesus to be your Savior and Lord, you can be assured that:
- Your sins are forgiven.
- Your are a Christian.
- You are a child of God.
- God will always be with you.
- You will go to Heaven when you die.
What should you do now?
Now that you have trusted Jesus Christ to be your Savior, you are part of the family of God. You are the adopted child of the Father of all creation. In order to grow in this amazing new relationship, we can:
- Follow Him – Baptism is one of the first things God asks His children to do, and it is a wonderful first step in a life of obedience.
- Talk to Him - Prayer is simply talking to our Father anytime, about anything. He is always there to listen and help.
- Let Him talk to you - The primary way our Father speaks to His children is through His Word, the Bible. We can read and study it regularly to know the mind, heart and will of our Father in Heaven. A good place to begin is the Gospel of John.
- Spend time with other members of the family - As a child of the Father, you now have many brothers and sisters in Christ. Spending time with them will help us become the child of God He would like for us to be.
- Do not be ashamed of Him - As children of a wonderful Father in heaven, we have the opportunity to speak of Him to others.
By placing your faith in Christ, you have entered into a loving relationship with God, our Heavenly Father. The life we live for Him is not a way of earning His love or keeping it. It is our way of showing how truly grateful we are that, because of what Jesus has done for us, we have His love and will never lose it.
Please contact the church office if you have any questions regarding salvation. The church's contact information can be found on the About Us > Contact Us web page located here.